Polco is Hiring!
Polco is looking to add an insightful, creative Senior Software Engineer who wants to improve cities and communities by building great civic engagement software. We’re looking for a tenacious problem solver who loves a challenge and is excited by the pace of a startup.
Who we are
Polco is dedicated to transforming how local governments, representatives, and community organizations interact with the communities they serve. We’re all about civic engagement and creatively bringing new and innovative technologies to the front lines of democracy. Our team comes from every walk of life and all corners of the political spectrum, but we’re all problem solvers at heart. Polco is designed to bring people closer together regardless of who they are, where they come from, or how they think. We appreciate and celebrate these differences among our team, too. After all, we’re building something that everyone needs to love, so a broad range of diverse perspectives is important. We don’t look for people with perfect resumes or who “fit the mold.” We look for people who can make our team better.
As a developer at Polco, you'll jump right into the role, learning our stack and collaborating with other teams to deliver value to our users. We're looking for someone to quickly become an instrumental member not only of the development team but of the whole Polco team. You'll change, commit, and deploy code within days of starting (with guidance!). You'll work with the product, marketing, and sales teams to understand requirements and business value. Developers at Polco are generalists, and we often work both independently and in small teams, so you'll get to experience a wide variety of technologies and approaches.
- Be familiar with several programming languages and have in-depth experience with at least one.
- Write clean, logical, high-quality code and adopt test-driven development and Agile practices.
- Have a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, a related field, or professional industry experience.
- Have an understanding of software development fundamentals.
Bonus points for
- Single-page application frameworks like React
- GraphQL and Apollo
- Automated testing
- Mobile first or responsive design
- Data engineering and analytics
- Heroku, or other cloud infrastructure services
Why work with us?
- We're on an awesome stack
- The excitement of being in on the ground floor of a new startup
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Benefits package including dental, medical, vision coverage
- Flexible work hours, remote working and paid time off
- Remote-friendly work environment
How to apply
If Polco’s mission sounds like something you want to be part of, we encourage you to apply.
Please note that Polco will be unable to respond to any telephone calls regarding the position. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
We are committed to building a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, folks who identify as queer and others who are underrepresented in the technology or research field to apply.