Polco is Hiring!
Polco is looking to add an insightful, creative developer who wants to improve cities and communities by building great civic engagement software. We’re looking for a problem solver who loves a challenge and is excited by the possibilities of working at a startup.
Who we are
Polco is dedicated to transforming how local governments, representatives, and community organizations interact with the communities they serve. We’re all about civic engagement and creatively bringing new and innovative technologies to the front lines of democracy. Our team comes from every walk of life and all corners of the political spectrum, but we’re all problem solvers at heart. Check out this short video to learn more about what we’re up to. Polco is designed to bring people closer together regardless of who they are, where they come from, or how they think. We appreciate and celebrate these differences among our team, too. After all, we’re building something that everyone needs to love, so a broad range of diverse perspectives is important. We don’t look for people with perfect resumes or who “fit the mold.” We look for people who can make our team better.
As a developer at Polco, you’ll jump right into the full stack of technologies we use. We’re looking for someone to quickly become an instrumental member of our small development team. You’ll change, commit, and deploy code within days of starting (with guidance!). “Onboarding” will mostly consist of pair programming with another team member as you explore the software and work together on implementing user stories.
- Be familiar with several programming languages and have in-depth experience with at least one.
- Write clean, logical, high-quality code and adopt test-driven development and Agile practices.
- Have a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, a related field, or professional industry experience.
- Have an understanding of software development fundamentals.
Bonus points for
- Single-page application frameworks like React/Redux
- GraphQL and Apollo
- Automated testing
- Mobile first or responsive design
- Data engineering and analytics
- Heroku, or other cloud infrastructure services
Why work with us?
- We're on an awesome stack
- The excitement of being in on the ground floor of a new startup
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Benefits package including dental, medical, vision coverage
- Flexible work hours, remote working and paid time off
- 10% free time for any projects that you think will help Polco grow
- Dog friendly downtown office
- Inclusive and modern office environment
- Free coffee
- Next door to a major music venue
How to apply
Whatever makes you, you, if Polco’s mission sounds like something you want to be part of, we encourage you to apply. Send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and you’ll hear back from us within a week.