Polco is Hiring a Product Designer!
Polco is looking to add an insightful, fearless, and creative Product Designer who wants to improve cities and communities by building great civic engagement software. We’re looking for a tenacious problem solver who loves a challenge and is excited by the pace of a startup and the prospect of reaching millions of users.
You’ll lead the scaling of our respondent side app which is currently a mobile-first web app focused on answering surveys and polls from the city. Your primary role will be designing our respondent experience with the mission to grow and retain our users.
This role has the potential to evolve into leading a design team.
Who we are
Polco is dedicated to transforming how local governments, representatives, and community organizations interact with the communities they serve. We’re all about civic engagement and creatively bringing new and innovative technologies to the front lines of public governance. Our team comes from every walk of life and all corners of the political spectrum, but we’re all problem solvers at heart.
What you'll do
As a designer at Polco, you'll jump right into the role, learning our product and collaborating with other teams to deliver value to our users. We're looking for someone to quickly become an instrumental member of the team and lead the charge on building out our experience for respondents.
Who you are
- Set the vision for the user experience for our respondents
- Conduct user interviews and dive into user session data to identify user pain points and areas of opportunity
- Work with a small cross-functional team and partner closely with engineering, product, and internal stakeholders to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges
- Be autonomous. You’ll take full ownership of your work, and take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
- You'll be an early team member, with the opportunity to have a major impact on our product, our culture, and the overall business
- Design feature flows, high-fidelity visuals in Figma, and interactive prototypes that adhere to WCAG 2.0 accessibility standards and ship quickly
- Experience with consumer apps a big plus
- You aren’t afraid to think big - we want to change the world and no idea is too outlandish
- Have proven design chops, shipped products, and understand what it takes to build valuable and meaningful user experiences.
- You’re good at balancing details with big picture timing and impact
- You have 4+ years of product design experience, ideally with a few years as a designer at a leading tech company
- You have a user focused design mentality. You care deeply about the user, and are constantly seeking to test and validate your ideas through user feedback and data. We want our app to be easy to use for everyone - bonus points for being knowledgeable about accessibility
- Showcase a portfolio that demonstrates excellence in design
- Are self-driven and have strong communication skills
Why work with us?
- Remote-first work environment - the product team is currently spread out in CA, CO, and WI with quarterly retreats to collaborate
- The excitement of being with a rapidly growing tech company
- The ability to have a real impact
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Benefits package including dental, medical, vision coverage
- Flexible work hours and paid time off
- Home office setup stipend
How to apply
Send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and you’ll hear back from us within a week. For fastest consideration, please include a link to your online portfolio or any interactive applications you've designed.